What is a D-U-N-S® Number?
The D-U-N-S® Number is a unique nine-digit identifier for businesses. It is used to establish a D&B® business credit file, which is often referenced by lenders and potential business partners to help predict the reliability and/or financial stability of the company in question. "D‑U‑N‑S," which stands for data universal numbering system, is used to maintain up-to-date and timely information on more than 300 million global businesses.
Want the best experience?
Bundle your D-U-N-S® Numbers with other great CIAL Dun & Bradstreet products.
Package contents may vary by country.
Want to learn more about solution bundles?
Why do I need a D-U-N-S® Number?
The D-U-N-S® Number is used all around the world, including in the United States, Latin America, and the European Union, and confers numerous benefits on businesses that participate. The business credit file associated with your business's D-U-N-S® Number can help potential partners and lenders learn about your business and make informed decisions about whether or not to work with you as a client, supplier, or partner. Even after you've signed a contract or accepted a loan, your D-U-N-S® Number can be used to help get a clear view of your business, which can help you negotiate for improved terms and conditions or a favorable line of credit.
Establish credibility with lenders and expedite applications for loans & contracts
Do business with governments and companies at home and abroad
Make sure other businesses get a complete and accurate story about your business
Your D-U-N-S® Number Features
- It is a universal standard. The D-U-N-S® Number has existed for over 50 years and is relied on by businesses and government agencies around the world.
- It is global. D-U-N-S® Numbers are currently assigned to businesses in more than 220 countries and territories around the world.
- It is unique. D-U-N-S® Numbers are assigned to the lowest possible organizational level, i.e. business locations with a unique, separate, and distinct operations.
- It is persistent. Only Dun & Bradstreet assigns D-U-N-S® Numbers which helps ensure accuracy, consistency, timeliness, and cross-border consistency of information. We follow rigorous rules for assignment and maintenance. Prior to assignment, there is validation from multiple sources. Once assigned it will not be re-issued or re-assigned.
- It is constant. The D-U-N-S® Number stays with a business throughout the duration of its life cycle, including name and address changes, changes in corporate structure, and even bankruptcy.
Who trusts the D-U-N-S® Number?
- The US Government- D-U-N-S® Number required for government contracts
- Apple- D-U-N-S® Number required if you want to be on the App Store
- Major Corporations- Required for Walmart and Target suppliers
- SMEs- Trusted by millions of small & medium enterprises across the globe
- International Organizations- Used or required by the European Commission, the UN, the World Customs Organization, and more